GUM DISEASE AT BAY
Keep your teeth healthy for life with preventative cleanings and exams!
Gum disease is the No. 1 reason adults lose their teeth. The best way to prevent gum disease is by getting preventative care services at VSP Dental every six months.
During your preventive care appointment, we will:
1. Clean plaque and bacteria from the teeth and below the surface of the gums
2. Conduct a periodontal screening
3. Discuss oral hygiene options for your specific needs.
4. Provide nutritional counseling as necessary
5. Assess risk factors for oral diseases
6. Review your health history and medication as it applies to your oral health
7. Apply fluoride to your teeth
8. Take necessary x-rays
Why Are Cleanings Important?
Professional dental cleaning removes the tartar buildup on your teeth that brushing and flossing can’t budge. Tartar harbors bacteria that causes periodontal disease – which leads to tooth loss.
Our hygienists use ultrasonic scalers that gently and effectively remove tartar and plaque deposits, giving you a clean, healthy smile that can even reverse gingivitis.
Following your cleaning, we’ll apply professional-grade fluoride to help remineralize your tooth surface and deter future decay.
We’ll cure your “fear of the dentist!”
Many of our patients tell us Dr. Patel and her staff have cured them from their “fear of the dentist.” We’re known for our gentle touch and compassion. If you’re nervous about your cleaning, we’d be glad to provide you with relaxing laughing gas during your appointment.
Do cleanings make you nervous? Even routine procedures like preventive appointments make some people feel uneasy about going to the dentist. If so, feel free to request nitrous oxide during your next appointment!